[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 and dual stack support

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Thu Mar 21 16:27:37 CDT 2013

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:21:44 -0700, Michael L. Young wrote:

> How are you determining that it is not listening on IPv4?
>
> bindaddr=:: should allow you to support dual stack.

That's what I thought would happen. When I set bindaddr=:: and use
'netstat -lpn |grep 5060' it shows:

  udp6     0   0 :::5060           :::*         9898/asterisk

Services like this usually also support IPv4 and as much is suggested by
this comment in the sip.conf that comes with my Asterisk package:

  ; (Note that using bindaddr=:: will show only a single
  ; IPv6 socket in netstat. IPv4 is supported at the same
  ; time using IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses.)

However, the moment I reload my sip.conf with bindaddr=::, my entire list
of IPv4-only peers loses contact with Asterisk with warnings about the
network being unreachable. So, it would appear that the version of
Asterisk that I'm using is operating with a single stack socket.

Cheers,

Jaap