[asterisk-users] Diagnosing call problem

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Mar 21 09:48:35 CDT 2013

Mitch Claborn wrote:

> Thank you for that most excellent post.  I had guessed at most of the
> SDP fields and meaning.

No problem.  I actually like looking at SIP traces for some reason.

> I have wireshark traces from the client and the RTP packets are not in
> the trace, which I think means that the client software is simply not
> producing them.  I have opened a ticket with SFL phone support and will
> post here if I find anything.

That's a reasonable conclusion.  Just make sure that you get some traces of good
calls to verify that your tests are valid.

> I did test the "muted microphone" theory.  SFLphone continues to send
> RTP packets even when the mic is muted, so that doesn't seem to be the
> cause.

It's always a good idea to rule out PEBKAC before spending a lot of time
diagnosing a problem.

> I've also compared the call initiation SIP and SDP packets between a
> call that fails and one that works correctly.  I can discern no
> difference other than things like port numbers and call IDs.
>
> Tomorrow I'll be trying one of my agents on Bria instead of SFL - maybe
> that will make a difference.

It really seems like it may be a problem with the softphone.  I'm sure the
developers of SFLphone will appreciate your feedback, because not sending RTP is
a pretty serious bug.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and help out if I can.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer