[asterisk-users] Asterisk disconnecting SIP Calls after 15 Minutes

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Mar 21 09:34:44 CDT 2013

Florian Wolters wrote:

> So I turned on SIP debug for this host and analyszed it with wireshark.
> The last packets show an INVITE from my provider, that is answered by my
> Asterisk with "200 OK, with session description". What follows is an ACK
> by the provider and immediately a BYE sent by the provider. So for me it
> looks like the provider is disconnecting the call.

Florian,

This is a little hard to diagnose without seeing the SIP traffic for the
duration of the call.  It makes it impossible to tell if the INVITES the
provider is sending are related to the call (i.e. have the same Call-ID header),
but if they are being sent consistently 15 minutes into every call it may not
matter.  If the provider is sending you unsolicited INVITES that cause your
calls to drop, I'd suggest contacting their customer service and asking them why
they are being sent.

The provider actually sent you two INVITES in rapid succession with different
Call-IDs.  To keep this simple, I'll use the following shorthand:

  Call 1 = Call-ID 83de2b0c3faf0ef9 at 217.0.17.170
  Call 2 = Call-ID 248ef1b5553e5756490d6556573a1fb1 at tel.t-online.de

Call 1 is terminated with a BYE from Asterisk immediately after it gets the ACK
from the provider.  The provider tried to terminate it immediately with its own
BYE, but it lost the race.  This results in the Call/Transaction Does Not Exist
message at the end of that dialog.

Call 2 is terminated with a BYE from the provider immediately after they ACK the
OK from Asterisk.

As I said above, I'd start out by asking the provider why they are sending these
INVITES in the first place.  Here is the simple timeline derived from your SIP
trace that I worked from:

  Call 1                                  Call 2
  ------------------------------------    ------------------------------------

  13:37:54.240304
    INVITE From Provider to Asterisk

                                          13:37:54.240497