[asterisk-users] Laptop error

Frederic Van Espen frederic.ve at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 08:56:05 CDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 14:34 +0100, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 12:53 PM, termo termosel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Ubuntu and Asterisk 11.2.1 in a boot USB. When I put it in
> > desktop computer, asterisk starts without problem but if I insert
> the
> > same USB in a laptop computer Asterisk doesn't start. Is it possible
> > because different microprocessors?
>
> Yes. If you made the USB stick on a x86_64 (64 bit) computer and then
> try it on a x86 (32 bit) laptop, it will not work.

Still weird. If the OS is x86_64, then asterisk should have no problem
starting up if it was compiled for x86_64. If you try to boot the x86_64
os on a x86 only CPU, the OS would not boot at all.

Perhaps asterisk was compiled with some extra instruction flags that are
only supported on the desktop computer CPU though.

Frederic