[asterisk-users] xmpp priority setting and GoogleVoice

Chris Gentle gentlec at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 07:57:25 CDT 2013

I just wanted to send out some information that will hopefully help
others.  I don't know, maybe I'm the only one that's been having
problems with this.  I've been pulling my hair out for a while
wondering why Google would not send my incoming calls to my Asterisk
box.  The calls would just roll to voice mail and no packets ever
reached Asterisk.  This has happened on two separate Asterisk boxes
and three different GoogleVoice numbers.  I've been all through the GV
web page settings but nothing I did changed anything.  I figured it
had to be something simple, and I was right.  I finally ran across an
article that talked about the priority setting in xmpp.conf.  This is
set to 1 by default, which is apparently the lowest priority setting.
Apparently, GV routes calls to whatever session has the highest
priority.  If I understand correctly, being logged into gmail/gtalk
has a higher priority, somewhere around 20.  So Google calls were
probably being routed to my logged-in session but I never saw them
because I don't use Gtalk.  I changed this value to 100, as suggested
in the article, and incoming calls immediately started working for all
three GoogleVoice numbers.

The Asterisk 11 xmpp.conf sample file currently has this to say about
the priority setting:

;priority=1                             ; Resource priority

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that probably could use a
bit more.  This seems like a pretty important setting.

Just my two cents ...

Hope this helps somebody else.

--
Chris