[asterisk-users] asterisk with 1000 extensions

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Thu Mar 7 06:43:11 CST 2013

On 7/3/13 6:50 am, Bharat Lalcheta wrote:
> You can use ATA box with pstn phone to reduce cost.

I would caution against that approach. Analogue to Digital conversions
often seem to have 'problems' - mostly related to hangup detection
and/or echo. If you really do want to use analogue phones, then use a
good quality channel bank to bring the analogue extensions into
Asterisk, not low-end ATAs.

You also have to consider the value of your time. There's little point
shaving a few pounds (or dollars, or euros) from the hardware cost if
it's going to double the configuration time. And using 'cheap'
components will add to your ongoing support burden for the system.

Cheap != good value for money.

Personally, I'd consider using something like the Snom 710. They aren't
the cheapest SIP phones by any means, but they do have a very good
remote provisioning and configuration system, which will substantially
reduce the work you need to do in configuring handsets.

If your budget won't stretch to the Snom units, the Yealink range as
suggested by another poster might be worth looking at. I believe their
cheapest (is it the T18?) SIP endpoint can be had for around 35GBP - I
don't know what pricing is like in your local currency of course. I
believe Yealink do also have a fairly reasonable remote provisioning
system, but unlike the Snom system, I can't claim to have used it in anger.

Kind regards,

Chris