[asterisk-users] Asterisk / PHP-AGI / pthreads

Satish Barot satish4asterisk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 00:03:51 CDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Steve Edwards
<asterisk.org at sedwards.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2013, Satish Barot wrote:
>
>  Would you mind sharing a sample of your pthread-ed C AGI? This will help
>> someone like me who has written AGI in Perl/PHP and now exploring C AGI.
>>

> The source code for this particular AGI is about 600 lines and uses my own
> AGI library (written before other C AGI libraries were available) so I
> don't think it has a whole lot of value to other programmers.
>
> First a little background on why I used pthreads in this AGI...
>
> The application was an adult chat platform. (Mostly) guys call in to chat
> to (mostly) women and pay $1 to $4 per minute. At the end of the call, the
> accumulated charges are billed to their their credit card.
>
> Charges to credit cards usually take 2 transactions. The first transaction
> ('OPEN') places a temporary 'hold' on the card for $XXX. At the end of the
> call, a second transaction ('SALE') finalizes the billing for the actual
> charges for the call.
>
> (This '2 step' process is why you may have trouble charging an expensive
> dinner after checking into a hotel -- the hotel may have placed a 'hold'
> against your credit limit for the expected charge for your entire stay.)
>
> As originally implemented, Asterisk would play a prompt asking the caller
> to enter their card details. After the caller entered a 'valid' card number
> (that passes Luhn mod 10) and expiration date (between the current month &
> current year and current year + 7). My AGI would then play a prompt
> ('Please wait while your card is being verified') and then transmit the
> card details to our card processor. Getting a response from the card
> processor takes a second or so. My AGI returned the card processor response
> code as the 'priority' so the dialplan could continue to the main menu or
> play a prompt indicating why the card details failed. After 3 failures, a
> caller was played a prompt instructing them on alternative billing methods
> (high rate NPAs, check by phone, etc).
>
> This client was extremely particular about the 'caller experience' and
> thought the 'second or so' of silence while the card was being verified was
> excessive and had to be eliminated.
>
> Since the card processing time was not under my control, my solution was
> to change my AGI to create a second thread to play the 'please wait' prompt
> while the 'main line' code shipped off the card details to the processor.
>
> When I got the processor's response (which was usually before the prompt
> finished playing), the 'main line' code would 'join' the prompt thread. If
> the prompt thread was finished playing the prompt, execution continued
> immediately. If the prompt thread was still playing the prompt, execution
> continued as soon as the prompt thread received the AGI response from
> Asterisk. None of this took any special programming or synchronizing from
> me. It all 'just worked' because of the way pthreads are implemented.
>
> So, what did I learn that would be of value to you? Really understand the
> [...]

:) You reminded me of my teacher of old school days.
Very well explained.
I have somewhat similar requirement where I need to play some announcements
to entertain a caller while passing/processing some data through webservice
call ().

Thanks a lot for your response.

--Satish Barot