[asterisk-users] Mailing a fax with mutt does not succeed

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Jun 19 17:55:05 CDT 2013

Please don't top-post.

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Daniel - Asterisk wrote:

> 1. I've just addd echo at my sentence, please see output bellow.

Not that it's related to your issue...

Since mutt is expecting the body on stdin, why not put something in like
"Hey, you've got FAX."

>> 2) Is Asterisk executing as root? Does the Asterisk user ID have read
>> access to the TIFF?

> 2. Asterisk is executing as root, I think Asterisk has access to read
> TIF files since I've used ls, chmod, cp & mv from Asterisk's CLI with
> '!' character.

This is not conclusive. The Asterisk 'daemon' is a separate process from
your CLI process (and your shell process spawned from the CLI process).
They do not 'have to' be executing as the same user. If the Asterisk
daemon is executing as root, permissions should not be an issue -- unless
you're doing something weird with /tmp/ and NFS.

>> 3) If you use 'verbose()' instead of 'system()' does the command look
>> like your shell command?

> 3. I don't get you, please give some advice to try using Verbose instead
> System

If you replace system() with verbose(), does the command you are trying to
execute look correct? If you 'copy' the command from the Asterisk CLI and
'paste' it into a shell and execute it using sudo as the the user
executing the Asterisk daemon, does it work?

>> 4) Is mutt in the Asterisk user ID's path?

> 4. I don't know how to get this, but I'm using /usr/bin/mutt as you can
> see bellow.

Then that should be sufficient.

>> 5) If you redirect the output in the system() command to a file, does
>> that yield any clues? I.e., system(foo >/tmp/clue 2>&1)

> 5. I have redirected output of System this way : System(echo |
> /usr/bin/mutt -s "New fax" earohuanca at gmail.com -a ${FAXDEST}/${tempfax}
> >/tmp/ocurrencies.txt 2>&1), ocurrencies.txt is empty.

Sometimes the 'littlest' thing can trip you up. Usually it comes down to
ownership, permissions, or environment variables.

Not that this is the proper way to figure this out, but this is what I
would try next in desperation -- after crossing my fingers.

(Cut and paste each line from this email to a shell.)

AUSER=$(ps --no-heading -C asterisk --format user)

FILE=/tmp/faxes/201306191111.tif

MUSER=earohuanca at gmail.com

echo body >/tmp/body

env --ignore sudo -u ${AUSER} /usr/bin/file ${FILE}

env --ignore sudo -u ${AUSER} /usr/bin/mutt -v

env --ignore sudo -u ${AUSER} /usr/bin/mutt -s in-body ${MUSER} </tmp/body

env --ignore sudo -u ${AUSER} /usr/bin/mutt -a /tmp/body -s as-attachment-and-body ${MUSER} </tmp/body

env --ignore sudo -u ${AUSER} /usr/bin/mutt -a ${FILE} -s new-fax ${MUSER} </tmp/body

Good luck :)

--
Thanks in advance,