[asterisk-users] I need a second opinion on a new phone system deployment

Nunya Biznatch asterisk at ihearbanjos.com
Fri Jun 14 10:43:29 CDT 2013

Howdy All,
    They say opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one. (that's
the "clean" version of the saying). So I'm asking for yours. I hope you
see it as a fun exercise.

I'm designing a phone system from the ground up. Will be about 1000-1300
seats mixed 80/20 VoIP/Analog. 58-acre campus environment with 23
buildings. Userbase is emergency services organization, 24/7/365
operation. Down time is not an option, but "blips" are acceptable.
Repair time is immediate. We need failover for the failover essentially.
However, money is a major factor, so I have to do it all for nothing. So
here's what I'm thinking. Please throw in your 2 cents.

Network will be separate for phones. Fiber infrastructure available
between buildings as well as copper. Internet access will be limited to
a single administrative console on a temporary basis, and then only when
remote 3rd party support is required. Access for 3rd party support will
be supervised through remote access tools such as VNC, GoToMeeting,
etc... etc... System will have zero access to local data network. This
means all ancillary support servers such as DHCP, DNS, NTP, FTP,
etc...etc... will be specific to the phone system. Yes, I know some
responders at this time will become fixated on me gaining this
connectivity. It ain't gonna happen. It's not an option. Period, end of
story. These are the parameters I must work within. Trying to "fix" that
will be a non-starter.

The phone system will upgrade an existing TDM-based system. Mitel SX2000
with NuPoint Voicemail. This will not be a dump-trunk replacement. I
expect at least a one to two-year transition, meaning we will have time
to find problems,  work bugs, and learn over time, with minimized
impacts. It also means we'll be supporting two systems for some time.

PBX is 97% serving your basic phone on the desk. Nothing special.
Customers expect the usual list of features. There will be a goodly
number of hints required for BLF on maybe 150 phones. There is one
office of about 30 phones in a call-center environment that will need
that service. They would be considered low volume (but don't tell them
that).

My Skills... I am not a Linux kung fu master, but I have built and
managed my share of Linux servers on mutiple Linux flavors. I am a DCAA,
having been through formal training, and have been playing with Asterisk
for years, but always in fits and spurts and never in a live environment
so I am by no means a kung fu master there either. I have started
dabbling with virtualizations via XEN, but I am not comfortable enough
with it to go live this first round. I can see myself implementing it in
about three years once we're totally comfortable with what we have, so I
can then have time to get that skill sorted. I was a network engineer
for the US no3. telecom for a number of years, 10-years in
comm-electronics in the military before that. Telecom my entire career.
I've got the kung-fu to handle the network side of the house, and having
administrated multiple PBXs for decade-plus, I've got the concepts down.

No plans to build databases for things like directories, etc... I'm not
greatly confident in those skills, and to date, haven't found anything
that really stands out that would make me require that. You may think
otherwise, so please chime in. I say that, but at the same time I
recognize I may require a GUI interface once fully deployed to allow
lower-skilled people to follow the motions to complete simple moves,
adds, and changes. I'm fighting the uphill battle that is the "GUI is
new, CLI is old" mentality.

System will use G.722 for VoIP Phones.

So there's the groundwork. Here's the hardware plan.

Plan is to build my own servers following industry standards (ATX) and
using industry standard equipment. Why? Spares? Whether redundant or
not, I will still have spares for the most common elements on the shelf
so equipment can be returned to service as quickly as possible. This
will also allow me to be comfortable with more "basic server"
configurations and help keep cost down. For example, Servers with single
power supplies vs. dual. Also, components will be standardized for all
equipment to aid in supply requirements.

First the layout.

2-servers acting as gateways. Each handling 2 PRIs for outside trunks.
They'll also handle the analog ports. Failover will be in the form of
degraded trunk access if one should fail, but the second will be able to
support services in degraded fashion.

2-servers acting as VoIP PBX. A primary and a spare. Meaning one will be
capable of handling the load of the entire system, and the other will
pickup when the other dies, an active/passive cluster. Will also take
care of voicemail. Use of heartbeat, pacemaker, etc... etc...

2-servers for support services. DNS, DHCP, FTP, NTP, etc...
etc...Basically, everything the phones need to run plus system
monitoring via something like Nagios.

1-Desktop for administration of everything. Provided from corporate.
Basic Desktop.

Looking at Intel Xeon E3-1230 ivy-bridge processors. 8GB DDR 1333 for
Gateways and 16GB for PBX and support servers. 1TB drives in RAID 10 via
LSI 3ware 9650 cards for PBX, 250GB for Gateways. Supermicro X9SCM-F mobo.

OS of choice is Debian. Primarily because it appears to have the best
availability for non-Internet installations.

Now the Infrastructure

2-network switches in the phone room. Each set of "primary" servers to
one, and "secondary" servers to the other, and each switch connected to
the other. Each switch will have a different path to the network. RTSP
implemented for dual path to the campus. Only one location on campus
will have or require dual paths to the network.

Most buildings on campus have cat-3 for voice installed in the mid-90s.
Wired at the same time as the data network, I can generally conclude
they're the same length. It's terminated to 110-blocks on walls. Some
cabling is only 2-pair. I know I will find surprises. Essentially, I
plan to re-use this cable, knowing in some circumstances I will need to
make special patch cables. These connections will be forced to 10BaseT
at the switch.

I require PoE to the wire closets, no power sourced at the desktop. I
require a minimum eight-hours emergency power which will be in the form
of UPS in most cases. Why so much backup? Well if you ask, we can start
a new discussion about NEBS compliance, E911 Federal, local, and state
requirements, etc... etc...

So why not use existing data network? The current data network consists
primarily of 10+ year-old 100BaseT switches, no PoE. Barely any backup
power. I don't believe they're using QoS. The network office is a
separate department from the phone office. I question their skills, and
above all, network folks treat phones like computers, not like
multi-million dollar lawsuits when they don't work in an emergency. We
could make another thread out of this huh? To use existing data network
would require hundreds of thousands in Cisco 6500 and 4500 series
switches. Network has already stated they'd want phone on separate ports
from computer, and I agree. (Yet another thread). Thousands of computers
across 23 buildings, and it must be Cisco by corporate policy, where
phone is a different animal that doesn't have this limitation. You can
see we're talking hundreds of thousands in just switching gear. Then UPS
requirements to support a big hog of a switch vs a teeny 48-porter
w/PoE, and you just cranked up one-time and long term cost for that as
well. Trying to replace the network to support the phones is cost
prohibitive and a non-starter. Maybe we can talk about it in 5 years
once they've replaced everything.

I plan to purchase lower-cost Layer-2 smart switches from vendors such
as DLink, Xyxel, Dell, etc... Many players in the market for 48-port
switches with PoE and multiple SFP.

I think that's probably enough... I apologize for the large email but I
couldn't think of a better way to get a qualified peer opinion without
laying out the facts.

Thanks in advance for your review and consideration...!!!