[asterisk-users] blocking spammer by callerID "name"

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Jun 13 15:32:22 CDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 13:55 -0600, Joseph wrote:

> Good idea, I like your approach with press "number" to leave a message", this will definitely cut the robo-calls voice-mail.

I do this, but without any white or black lists, and it works great. The
greeting says "press one for <my wife>, or two for <me>". That alone is
enough to knock out virtually all the spammers (99% of them are
robo-calls these days). Once 1 or 2 is pressed, the phones in the house
will ring with a different ring code for each, and if there's no answer,
the call goes to separate voice mail boxes for my wife and myself. Works
great. That alone was worth the effort to install asterisk. Now, the
cost of the telephony card, that's a different story. Never before have
I had a PCI card that costs more than the rest of the machine combined.
So I really wouldn't have done this if it weren't such a cool geek
project :-)

--Greg