[asterisk-users] Troubleshooting TDMs (Packet capture like debugging)

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Thu Jun 13 09:57:25 CDT 2013

In article <CAAWx_pVGZA965LjXWRNA_tKz2HkhqubOknGeSsSjE3bKkVE8-A at mail.gmail.com>,
James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a way to troubleshoot issues with TDM (E1) trunks
> with a provider.
>
> Currently with SIP trunks I am using tcpdump to perform packet
> captures between our gateways and the SIP providers IPs, capturing
> traffic on all ports, to include both the SIP messages and the RTP
> stream.
>
> How can I achieve a similar result on TDM links connected to TDM cards
> in Asterisk servers, where by I can see the signalling (like the SIP
> message) and the audio stream (like the RTP stream) in my packet
> captures?
>
> If it helps, the end goal is to create something like the packet
> captures I am making so I can see the control signals and audio
> streams (in and out) for troubleshooting one way audio issues for
> example. So, am I sending audio to the TDM provider, are they sending
> it to me, have we both signalled correctly to start/stop sending
> audio, etc.

A google for "DAHDI pcap" led me to the following page:
http://forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82833

That suggests that DAHDI 2.6 onwards can be compiled with pcap support,
that presumably provides the drivers with the ability to capture to
pcap files, and a tool to control it.

Presumably a recent version of Wiresharl will then be able to interpret
the captured files.

Cheers
Tony
--