[asterisk-users] Troubleshooting TDMs (Packet capture like debugging)

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 08:23:03 CDT 2013

Hi All,

I am looking for a way to troubleshoot issues with TDM (E1) trunks
with a provider.

Currently with SIP trunks I am using tcpdump to perform packet
captures between our gateways and the SIP providers IPs, capturing
traffic on all ports, to include both the SIP messages and the RTP
stream.

How can I achieve a similar result on TDM links connected to TDM cards
in Asterisk servers, where by I can see the signalling (like the SIP
message) and the audio stream (like the RTP stream) in my packet
captures?

If it helps, the end goal is to create something like the packet
captures I am making so I can see the control signals and audio
streams (in and out) for troubleshooting one way audio issues for
example. So, am I sending audio to the TDM provider, are they sending
it to me, have we both signalled correctly to start/stop sending
audio, etc.

Many thanks,
James.