[asterisk-users] ILEC Interconnect: Basic MUX: M13 vs DCS: VT1.5 vs DS3

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 07:08:33 CDT 2013

Hello Brian,

Thank you so much!!!!

On 6/12/13, Brian LaVallee <b.lavallee at globaltank.jp> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Going from DS1 to OC-n is a multi-step process.  Typically requiring a
> hardware device to handle each MUX step.  But you can find hardware that
> handles multiple MUX steps together.

The connection is coming into our premise on the OC-n transport. The
question now is should we have it multiplexed as DS1 or VT1.5s
to the DS3s. What is common today, I think DS1 VT1.5s mappings
are more flexible?

> VT1.5 is just a raw OC-n channel containing a single DS1.
> An M13 device converts between DS3 and DS1.

Understood!!!

> A DACS (DCS or DXC) provides M13 conversion, sometimes even capable of
> extracting the raw VT1.5 signal directly to DS1.
>
> The ILEC transport option you choose really depends on the terminating
> interface.  Do you want to connect with a DS3 or OC-n?

The transport is coming in as OC-n. What I am trying to figure out are
the advantages
of mapping the STS-1 using DS1s or VT1.5s.

> No matter what hardware you choose, you will need to convert to single
> copper pairs (DS1/T1) to connect to your Asterisk boxes.  So an M13 or DCS
> will be necessary to reach the DS1 level.
>
> The device you choose depends on budget and growth expectations.  Typically
> a DCS is an expensive investment, handling hundreds of DS3's. An M13 device
> is typically a small unit that handles one or two DS3's.

This is almost understood. Is an M13 device basically a MUX (In our case
STS-1->DS1)? From there we would plug the signaling into the Quad Digiums as you
mentioned (this is where I get more comfortable....).

Could you kindly post a link to an entry level DCS with OC-n
interfacing and M13s
being used today. That way I can see what functionality each provides
and determine
which better suits our need. I am guessing, but hate to presume:

M13: Adtran MX2800
DCS: Mediant 3000, Metaswitch 0610 etc..

> The advantage comes when you add the 29th DS1.  With VT1.5 it's just adding
> a single channel, DS3 will require another whole DS3 to get an additional
> DS1.

This is why we are going SONET. It's a new transport layer for me compared to
DS3s, and want to make sure I can put everything together at the network level.

> Sincerely,
> Brian LaVallee

Thank you kindly,

Nick from Montreal.