[asterisk-users] A problem with IAX2

Mordechay Kaganer mkaganer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 17:25:52 CDT 2013

B.H.

On Jun 11, 2013 5:15 PM, "Steve Totaro" <stotaro at totarotechnologies.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Mordechay Kaganer <mkaganer at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> B.H.
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> We have several Asterik boxes that are connected to PSTN using PRI cards
and they are interconnected using IAX2 trunks so that incoming calls are
delivered from PSTN to the servers they belong to.

>> In past we were using asterisk 1.4 on the server that is receiving IAX
connections and everything worked as expected. Recently, we have switched
to a newer box with asterisk 1.8.22 and then we began to experience
sometimes a strange problem:

>> At some point of time, incoming IAX connections begin to get refused by
the server and we get the following messages in the logs:

>> WARNING[XXXX] chan_iax2.c: Too much delay in IAX2 calltoken timestamp
from address X.X.X.X

>> where X.X.X.X is the IP of the PSTN->IAX gateways and all the incoming
calls start to be rejected.

>> Direct PSTN calls (both incoming and outgoing) to the same server work
OK. The only solution that helps is to kill the asterisk and restart it.

>> All the servers are connected to the same LAN segment, with gigabit
switch, there is no problems with the network. No packet loss.

>> There's already bug report present with very similar issue, but it is
"suspended" and, like stated there, the problem is very hard to reproduce.

>> See: https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-21762
>>

>> --
>> משיח NOW!
>

> Use SIP and never look back.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro
>
> --

Thanks, that's what i actually going to do.

But does this mean that IAX is obsolete? Actually i have selected IAX in
the first place because it looks like more "native" for asterisk, so i
thought it would be more suitable as a protocol to interconnect asterisk
boxes...