[asterisk-users] asterisk debian package and digium repository

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Mon Jun 3 08:18:16 CDT 2013

On 07/08/12 23:11, Rusty Newton wrote:
> On 8/7/2012 7:27 AM, Paul Belanger wrote:
>> On 12-08-07 03:31 AM, ml asterisk wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I used to install asterisk on debian squeeze with digium repository.
>>> The last build of asterisk available is 1.8.11.1.
>>> Is this repository discontinued ?
>>>
>> Since leaving Digium they have become unmaintained.  If you are
>> interested in helping out, you might want to reach out to
>> #asterisk-dev or asterisk-dev mailing list.
>>
> Matt Jordan has been working on getting it sorted out, but we only
> have so much time and resources. Anyone who wants to step up and help
> out, don't be shy! As Paul said: #asterisk-dev or asterisk-dev mailing
> list.

Can anybody clarify the current situation with packages?

The wiki says they stopped being supported in March 2012:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Packages

but
a) it's not clear if it is talking about the asterisk.org hosted
packages or the debian.org hosted packages
b) the asterisk.org hosted .deb packages appear to be updated in
November 2012
c) Debian 7 was released with Asterisk 1.8 at the beginning of May 2013,
that means it is supported as long as Debian 7 is current + 1 year
(approximately 3 years total)
d) Ubuntu appears to be carrying 1.8 in their best-efforts supported
"universe" catalog

Furthermore, I notice that on packages.asterisk.org RHEL6 has Asterisk
11 packages but Debian/Ubuntu (pool directory) still has 1.8

Having a look at Debian's PTS, I found that Asterisk 11 packaging is a
work-in-progress, it may be possible for people to obtain it from
Debian's SVN or git and build packages with dpkg-buildpackage