[asterisk-users] Multi-homed SIP in Asterisk 11?

Wed Jul 31 10:31:04 CDT 2013

On 31/07/13 16:12, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> Thanks. But I thought localnet= and externip= were for when the external
> interface is going through NAT. In this case the ITSP is connected through
> a real non-NATted public interface.
>
> Is it possible to specify directmedia=no just for the SIP trunk? So that
> the phones could still do direct media between themselves, but not if
> they were connected to the trunk?
>
> Cheers
> Tony

The localnet= can have implications as when asterisk sees that IP
address it knows its local. This may have knock on effects when you have
other settings which do different things of the endpoint is known to be
behind nat.

Its not clearly documented what needs to be set when directmedia=no is
turned on. Does it only need to be set on one endpoint, both, or just
the destination etc... I am sure you can do it that way but you will
need to have a play and work it out.

I wonder if using directmedia=nonat will help at all. It will disable
directmedia if one endpoint is behind nat (this is where localnet= comes
in) but I dont know if it will then know to enable direct media if both
endpoints are behind nat. I suspect it wont as the endpoints may not
necessarily be behind the same nat so this would be unsafe.