[asterisk-users] Set ringtone by dialed number

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Jul 23 12:17:04 CDT 2013

A J Stiles wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 July 2013, Josh Hopkins wrote:
>> The reason for this is we have one primary company office but there are two
>> entities and if someone call the Denver number it would be for 1
>> organization and would ring differently helping our staff remember how to
>> answer the phone for the Denver organization rather than for the Colorado
>> Springs number which is a different entity.   A lot of times people are
>> rushing to answer the phone and do not look at the callerID this would
>> give them and auditory reminder of how they need to answer the phone.
> But that is not what you asked the first time around.
Well, not exactly.
He asked how to change the ring TONE

> If you want to change the ringing tone *at the far end*
More properly called ringBACK for those who are knowledgeable in telephony.
> depending on who is
> calling, that's different.  That is just ordinary "distinctive ringing", and
> Asterisk most certainly supports it  (in fact, even analogue phones on an FXS
> card can be given different ringing envelopes; the usual "ring-ring", the
> French-style "riiiiiiiiiiiiiing", or even a "ring-ring-ring").
But, does Asterisk support "distinctive ringing" on SIP phones? Isn't that governed within the SIP phone itself

Let's not confuse different ringing patterns on analog circuits with SIP.

John Novack

--

Dog is my Co-pilot