[asterisk-users] Set ringtone by dialed number

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 10:11:45 CDT 2013

On Tuesday 23 July 2013, Josh Hopkins wrote:
> The reason for this is we have one primary company office but there are two
> entities and if someone call the Denver number it would be for 1
> organization and would ring differently helping our staff remember how to
> answer the phone for the Denver organization rather than for the Colorado
> Springs number which is a different entity.   A lot of times people are
> rushing to answer the phone and do not look at the callerID this would
> give them and auditory reminder of how they need to answer the phone.

But that is not what you asked the first time around.

If you want to change the ringing tone *at the far end* depending on who is
calling, that's different.  That is just ordinary "distinctive ringing", and
Asterisk most certainly supports it  (in fact, even analogue phones on an FXS
card can be given different ringing envelopes; the usual "ring-ring", the
French-style "riiiiiiiiiiiiiing", or even a "ring-ring-ring").

Your Asterisk at the far end just has to be able to pick up on the caller ID
so it knows where the call is coming from, and  execute a SipAddHeader()
statement to set the appropriate ringing tone.

> How would I go about setting up telling the phone to change the ring tone
> in the SIP header?

Read the documentation for your phones.  For Digium D40s, look here:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=21463877#XMLConfiguration1.1.x-
RingtonesElement

--
AJS