[asterisk-users] Dongle or extra channel and sip SMS

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Mon Jul 15 11:20:41 CDT 2013

On Monday 15 July 2013, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I need to be able to send SMS messages for campaign or for specific users,
> also I need to be able to receive SMS messages and do automatic reply. Do
> I have to use dongle or extra channel? What is the difference?
> Also, I read that there is SMS through sip, how this work and what is the
> difference between the sip SMS and gsm sip? If I need to send sip SMS, how
> destination will receive it? What is required for destination phone to
> receive this sip SMS?

We use OpenVox G400P cards  (PCI; newer motherboards probably will require
G400E which is essentially the same card but with PCI Express interface)  for
our SMS and mobile telephony needs.  Just slot in up to 4 SIM cards, and
install chan_extra.

Incoming text messages trigger an extension in your dialplan with some channel
variables set, so you can respond to the message  (and also are recorded in a
logfile).  Outgoing messages can be sent using the Asterisk CLI.  In principle,
anything that you can call from a dialplan can be initiated by an incoming
message, and anything that can execute a system command can initiate an
outgoing message.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.