[asterisk-users] suggestions for low-power, small form-factor box with PCI and PCIe slots?

jg webaccounts at jgoettgens.de
Mon Jul 15 02:36:31 CDT 2013

You could base your box on a motherboard with an onboard CPU (like Intel Atom). The disadvantage
of these boards is that they usually come only with a single PCI or PCIe slot. There are
industrial boards with different options, but they are rather expensive.

The idle power of Sandy/Ivy Bridge systems is not too much different, so a H61 board could be a
good choice, especially since you can use consumer components. I use server boards with C20x
chipsets and a typical machine with 1 or 2 TDM cards has a total power consumption of about
35-40W in idle state. Since you probably deal only with at most a handful channels, a Celeron
G465 should more than sufficient. I also prefer small SSDs instead of a hard disk. Let's say you
have a 40 GB disk and the operating system plus additional software occupies 3-5 GB, then 90% is
free which should result in a long life time since there is plenty of room for wear leveling
optimizations.

jg