[asterisk-users] analog phone digit delay

jg webaccounts at jgoettgens.de
Mon Jul 8 13:38:20 CDT 2013

> The channel banks are Adtran TA-624's using ESF/B8ZS.  When a handset is picked up, I can see the offhook in the asterisk console, so it looks that the channel is immediately connected through the channel bank (not delayed until after digits are dialed), so it looks that overlap dialing isn't a factor and that asterisk has complete control.
This also means that you should see the digits as they are dialed. When something times out you
should also see a message why there was a timeout.
I am using ISDN for PSTN connections and where I live there must be some kind of overlap dialing
enabled, otherwise P2P configurations don't work. With current DAHDI drivers I no longer need
special settings to make things work (Wanpipe/Woomera was different), so I guess overlap dialing
is enabled. Some SIP phones distinguish between "Overlap Dialing" and "Automatic Dialing", so
your channel bank might also have something like an Automatic Dialing option with some timing
value.
> As for options in chan_dahdi.conf, I simply can't find any that relate to this problem.  I have looked at the page here: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/chan_dahdi.conf and the closest thing I can find is 'ringtimeout' which is obviously not what I want.  I would expect to see something like 'dialtimeout' or 'interdigittimeout'.
There is an "overlap" option in configs/chan_dahdi.conf.sample.

I am currently assembling an Asterisk box that has 48+2 analog channels (+ SIP + ISDN). If your
problem doesn't go away I could tell next week what my system is doing.

jg