[asterisk-users] Digium Analog card and Asterisk

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 11:47:29 CDT 2013

> On Friday 05 July 2013, ??? wrote:
> > Thanks very much for all the answers.
> >
> > I just notice my platform will be windows, does asterisk support
windows. I
> > am very good at linux but seems I could not use.
>
> Asterisk is first and foremost Linux software.  If it works anywhere
else, that
> is a happy accident and not by design.
>
> Having said which, Asterisk should build on Windows, and might even give
some
> limited functionality  (SIP to SIP calls, some dialplan functions, maybe
even
> IAX),  but you can forget about DAHDI or libPRI.  There is no way your
Digium
> analogue telephony cards are going to work under Windows.
>
> Just install Linux on the machine; and if the higher-ups complain, tell
them
> Linux is part of the Asterisk installation.

An even bigger problem would be support.  Assume you are lucky and you get
it with SIP for example.

What happen if one morning you wake up and its broken? Your setup would so
unique you would be completely on your own. That's not good position to put
your organization. When you are setting thing for production,  you have to
think of maintenance.

Better to look for alternative product if your employer can't stomach one
Linux box in your office.

> --
> AJS
>
> Answers come *after* questions.