[asterisk-users] OT - Chan-mobile -Bluetooth dongle on remote LAN workstation

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 03:57:09 CST 2013

On 31/01/13 07:25, Olivier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On a LAN, is it possible to install a bluetooth dongle on one
> workstation (at this time, this workstation OS is not specified) and use
> it with chan_mobile ?
> I've read some USB over IP (or Ethernet) middleware exist but I'm not
> certain I'm looking at the right direction.
>
> Regards

Hi Oliver,

I have used chan_mobile over the years on a number of occasions with
several different Nokia phones. I would say that even if in theory it
might be able to work with some USB over IP software for the bluetooth
dongle, it's probably not worth the hassle in practice. It's quite
likely that it will create too many problems, which will probably
outweigh the benefits of what you are trying to do. Bluetooth already
introduces a certain delay/latency in the communication path - by adding
and IP link in between, that will only get worse.

Sebastian