[asterisk-users] "clicking" sound with alaw codec

Richard Kenner kenner at gnat.com
Thu Jan 24 15:58:15 CST 2013

> > When I use alaw, the path from Asterisk to the Alcatel is completely
> > clean, but the other way has a set of clicks that kind of sound like
> > old-fashioned audio noise.
> [snip]
>
> It's been ages since I experienced that but things to check that come to
> mind in no particular order are:

Remember: this is only *one* particular SIP trunk.

> Use Wireshark to see the difference between a good call and a bad one.
> If you see a lot of time jumps on the bad call then look at your
> network/QoS.

"jumps"?  Note that a "good" call is G.729 and "bad" is G.711, so I
wouldn't expect them to be at all similar.

We throw a lot more bandwidth than even G.711 down the "pipe" between
the two sites in terms of data each evening, so I don't think it's that
kind of issue.

I'm thinking in terms of distortion caused by transcoding someplace.