[asterisk-users] Only silence trying to play streaming MOH

Chet W. Stevens cwstevens at interact.ccsd.net
Fri Jan 18 09:22:22 CST 2013

I am having trouble getting streaming MOH to work. As far as I can tell I have everything configured properly but there is only silence. Your help is appreciated. I am running Asterisk 1.8.11-cert10 with mpg123 1.12.1 to play the stream (I have tried
madplay, and mpg321, and I compiled streamplayer as well with the same results). I started by finding a working stream and tested this from the shell (and Winamp just to be sure):

/usr/bin/mpg123 -q -r 8000 -f 8192 --mono -s http://208.77.21.15:11510

It begins dumping the stream to the screen so I feel pretty confident this is working.

In musiconhold.conf I have:
[default]
mode=files
directory=moh
sort=random

[test]
mode=custom
; Note that with mode=custom, a directory is not required, such as when reading
; from a stream.
;directory=/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3
application=/usr/bin/mpg123 -q -r 8000 -f 8192 --mono -s http://208.77.21.15:11510

CLI> moh reload
CLI> moh show classes
Class: default
        Mode: files
        Directory: moh
Class: test
        Mode: custom
        Directory: nodir
        Application: /usr/bin/mpg123 -q -r 8000 -f 8192 --mono -s http://208.77.21.15:11510
        Format: slin

After the moh reload I see the mpg123 process running:
ps aux | grep mpg
myuser  10183  0.0  0.0  14184  1020 ?        S    07:07   0:00 /usr/bin mpg123 -q -r 8000 -f 8192 --mono -s http://208.77.21.15:11510

Then in extensions.conf I added:
exten => 1234,1,NoOp()
same => n,Answer()
same => n,MusicOnHold(test)
same => n,Hangup()

CLI> dialplan reload
Then I dial:
  == Using SIP RTP CoS mark 5
  == Using UDPTL CoS mark 5
    -- Executing [1234 at features:1] NoOp("SIP/mysip_4405-0000001f", "") in new stack
    -- Executing [1234 at features:2] Answer("SIP/mysip-0000001f", "") in new stack
    -- Executing [1234 at features:3] MusicOnHold("SIP/mysip-0000001f", "test") in new stack
    -- Started music on hold, class 'test', on channel 'SIP/mysip-0000001f'

I hear just dead air. I have tried different settings for buffering the stream, other stream sources, other players, defining a directory with a 0 byte file as some tutorials suggest, streaming to a file, etc but always with the same results. Dead
silence. Thank you for your help.

Chet Stevens