[asterisk-users] How often to restart Asterisk...

Stelios Koroneos skoroneos at digital-opsis.com
Sat Jan 12 12:35:21 CST 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-11 at 15:09 -0600, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> The general rule seems to be, don’t restart it unless there’s a
> problem or you hear of memory leaks.  I had a version of 1.4 that I
> restarted every night because I read about memory leaks, but I hear of
> 1.2 installs that have been running continuously for 10 years.

I can confirm that 1.2 (although "ancient") seems to be the version with
the least issues in terms of memory leaks/restarts etc
(This is based on approx 650 devices i am currently monitoring)
Usually we do a yearly shutdown to replace power supplies and some
hardware maintenance/cleaning
I have a few machines running for 3+ years without any restart/reboot
(these are custom powerpc boards in some "hard to reach" places)

That said, if you have an "external facing" asterisk (i.e accessible
public Internet) don't even think about it...

Latest 1.4 and 1.6.2 seem decent, although we will be switching to 1.8
on new installs and upgrades this year, due to LTS status

The biggest issue i have faced in term of stability is badly written AGI
scripts that tend to hog resources and bring systems down in the end.

Stelios