[asterisk-users] Playing music through VoIP handsets while on hook

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Fri Jan 11 01:42:58 CST 2013

Am 11.01.2013 02:42, schrieb Christopher Harrington:

> Wow, that seems wildly bandwidth inefficient. Is it possible to do
> multicast VoIP?

Snom phones[*] do support multicast streaming. You can setup an
IP & port combination that the phone will accept audio at; once
stream data starts arriving, the phone will start playback.

[*] and possibly others as well, but that is what I have on my desk.

Reasonably multicast will be ignored during a call though.

AFAIK Asterisk supports "Page" to multicast. VLC or the like may
also be audio sources.

BR
AMH