[asterisk-users] Paging unit suggestions

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Mon Jan 7 14:13:56 CST 2013

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com [mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Doug Lytle
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 2:10 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] Paging unit suggestions

We currently have an Asterisk system that is hooked up to our old paging speakers via sound card, plugged into two amps.

Each amp drives up to 8 analog speakers in each warehouse (we have 2).  Both warehouses are around 30k square feet.  Both have a large number of printing presses.

The computer system is that is running Asterisk is around 10 years old and starting to fail.  I'm looking to replace both the system and hopefully move to a IP paging system, but wanted to reuse the current speakers.

I'm looking for suggestions on a IP based amp or similar that could drive the current speakers?  I was envisioning a unit that would register as a SIP extension then would handle auto-answer that I could send a sound file to.

Thanks for any help!

Doug

This may be insane, but it seems from what I read that you could replace most 10 year old boxes with a $35 Raspberry Pi.  That not being the case, the speakers could probably be adapted to work off of any SIP phone headset/handset.