[asterisk-users] RES: Auto ban IP addresses

Ishfaq Malik ish at pack-net.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 02:56:57 CST 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 09:42 +0100, Leandro Dardini wrote:
> I am using fail2ban on all my asterisk server, but beware, fail2ban
> can be a dangerous software. The problem rely on the fact that SIP
> uses UDP, so it is possible to send messages with a forged source IP
> address. This way the bad guy out there can "ban" all your IP
> addresses. I say "it is possible" without having investigated in deep
> details what is really needed to do.

The jail.conf in fail2ban allows for a whitelist of IPs that will never
be banned

--
Ishfaq Malik <ish at pack-net.co.uk>
Department: VOIP Support
e: ish at pack-net.co.uk
w: http://www.pack-net.co.uk

Registered Address: PACKNET LIMITED, 2A ENTERPRISE HOUSE, LLOYD STREET
NORTH, MANCHESTER
SCIENCE PARK, MANCHESTER, M156SE
COMPANY REG NO. 04920552