[asterisk-users] Asterisk AMI - Create a daemon (background process)

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Tue Feb 26 10:29:44 CST 2013

PHP has had memory leak issues in the past, though modern versions are apparently much better.

The thing is, when you write a daemon you must EXPECT it to exit at some point, maybe the socket went away or the system restarted or you are out of memory, whatever.  You need to make sure you handle these situations regardless of which language you write in.   Using inittab is one way, daemon-tools is another.  For me, PHP with its C-like syntax, decent string handling, Perl Regex, and POSIX process control (including fork), it is "good enough" for most stuff that I do.