[asterisk-users] problem

Christopher Harrington chris at acsdi.com
Wed Feb 6 09:54:26 CST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM, brahim abidar <abidarbaha91 at gmail.com>wrote:

> *
> error: cannot seek `/dev/sda'.
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot seek `/dev/sda'.
> *

I hope your hard drive is not /dev/sda. Although this could also be a
configuration issue.

> *
> dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> *

And this indicates you're trying to install grub.

If you're installing grub, you're probably starting from scratch on a new
disk. You should look up a tutorial on how to test your hard drive, but an
abbreviated tutorial is to get a Live DVD distro, burn it, boot off of it,
and before mounting any partitions on /dev/sda, run badblocks -nvs /dev/sda
on it. Let that run for however long it needs to; this will test all of the
sectors on your drive to ensure they're working correctly. If it outputs
any errors or starts writing out lots of numbers, you have a disk problem.

Now, on to Asterisk: If your box is blank, you should just install a
distribution designed for Asterisk:
http://www.freepbx.org/freepbx-distro
http://www.elastix.org/index.php/en/downloads/main-distro.html

If this is an existing system, it sounds like you have a serious
configuration issue or hardware problem, so you should head to the forums
for whatever distro you're using (looks like some Debian variant).

--
-Chris Harrington
ACSDi Office: 763.559.5800