[asterisk-users] ConfBridge performance problem...?

Hristo Trendev dist.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 04:13:27 CST 2013

Hi,

I have been experimenting with ConfBridge from the asterisk-11 stable SVN
branch (and with 11.2.0 also) for the last 3 weeks and I see a problem,
which what I believe is performance related. I just wanted to ask if
someone else has made any tests and what is the maximum number of
participants that they've seen in a conference.

I was never able to get more than 8 participants (mixed G722 and G711a) on
a conference (actually that's per server limit) with almost all settings on
default, except for dsp_drop_silence and denoise which are enabled.

I tested on Debian squeeze, 64-bit, quad-core Xeon server @2.4GHz and also
on another virtual server with similar processor (just one core available
to the VM). While this is not the latest and greatest CPU, I would
certainly expect it to handle more than 8 calls.

To be honest, I was in fact able to get it working for up to 20
participants (most with G711), when I switched from res_timing_timerfd
to res_timing_dahdi and turned off denoise, but that's still not normal I
believe, especially with most participants on mute and with
dps_drop_silence enabled and nothing else running on the server.

The problem itself is, that once I get over the "critical" number of
participants, the voice starts to break up and it's impossible to
understand the person who's talking. This is certainly not bandwidth
related because all tests were made on the LAN and besides I could see that
the CPU was sometime close to 100%.

Did someone observe something similar?

BTW, once the first participant enters the conference I start seeing
probably over 50 messages per second saying:

bridging.c:757 bridge_channel_join_multithreaded: Going into a
multithreaded waitfor for bridge channel 0x292d708 of bridge 0x28f3658

Best,
Hristo