[asterisk-users] RTP timeout if the asterisk box behind NAT

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Sun Feb 3 18:40:58 CST 2013

Given that you said:
> This problem was not appearing when Asterisk machine was having static real IP address because I was enabling the rtptimeout paramters.

I do believe the solution is simple: put it back on a public IP.

For what it's worth, we have dozens of clients with boxes on RFC1918 IPs
and we don't see this issue, so I wonder if it's something 'special'
your NAT router's doing to mess up RTP traffic. It's probably worth
trying a different router (ideally different make/model) and see if
that's any better. And it's always worth disabling any SIP ALG present
in the router - they seem to do nothing but break things.

(as a random aside, has anyone *ever* come across a scenario where a SIP
ALG in a consumer router has actually helped?)

Kind regards,

Chris