[asterisk-users] [OT] Does Energy Savings mode exist with BRI/PtP ?

jg webaccounts at jgoettgens.de
Wed Dec 11 06:48:35 CST 2013

Yes, I can confirm that. P2P always requires a PBX and you can easily build up trunks of P2P
connections. So all channels always need to work in a coordinated way, if you allow this sloppy
formulation. Another reason for not allowing the energy saving mode is probably that in some
countries part of the phone number resolution has to happen inside the pbx on the customer side.
This could be a problem if it takes too much time to wake up a device, or if the state of the
connection cannot be determined beforehand.

P2MP does have an energy saving mode which depends on the PSTN and on the TE device. Sometimes
phone companies allow special sequences (like *121#) that explicitly allow to disable the energy
saving mode, if the P2MP connection is connected up to a PBX. Some customer devices have
configuration options like "connect to a pbx" which send exactly this sequence to the next
telephone switch.

All the technicals docs are available online, but I have yet to find a person, myself included,
who actually read them all. All of this applies to Western Europe, only.