[asterisk-users] Paltel subscribers as called parties for SIP attacks

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Thu Aug 8 07:04:16 CDT 2013

On 07/08/2013 00:57, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Chris Bagnall <asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, we routinely see dodgy traffic from:
>>> ovh.net
>>> hetzner.de

I missed the original thread, but I see a lot of attempts from the
37.8.0.0 - 37.8.63.255 range of IPs.

I use the Fail2Ban set up in FreePBX, together with this (
http://www.coochey.net/?p=61 ) customisation which effectively firewalls
off the IPs that attempt to register.

Given the propensity of connect attempts, however, I am considering just
blocking the entire range.

It might just be a small group of people scanning the range from a
dynamic IP, and the 972 number might just be a test number they have set
up to see if it connects, their actual aim is probably financial (e.g.
to call a premium rate number that collects the call charges to a
front). It's possible someone might be wanting to set up covert,
untrackable communications channels, but unlikely in my opinion.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd