[asterisk-users] AsteriskNOW x86_64 install GPT partitions

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Sun Sep 30 06:31:03 CDT 2012

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Wrinkled Cheese wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm having an issue installing AsteriskNOW 2.0.2 on a Dell server.  When I
> go to install it, with BIOS legacy mode for partition tables, I get as far
> as setting up the partition tables.  However, the installer then informs me
> that GPT partition table schemes are required and that I have to resolve
> the issue.
>
> I changed from BIOS/MBR/Legacy mode to GPT/UEFI boot mode but then the
> installer fails to install.  Upon investigation it seems that this is a
> fault of the CentOS installer.

What makes you think Centos is at fault?

> There must be a work around to this issue
> since it seems that the partition tables require GPT mode but the installer
> for the x86_64 disc don't support UEFI mode.o

How big are your partitions? The only reason Centos requires GPT is if you
have a partition larger than 2TB.

> Does anyone know of a work around or solution to this problem?

If your partitions are not over 2 TB then you do not need GPT. The 2TB limit
is not a Centos limitation. It is a limit of the msdos boot block. This also
affects Windoze.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org