[asterisk-users] is silk included in asterisk 11?

Jonathan Rose jrose at digium.com
Tue Sep 25 10:16:57 CDT 2012

Sean Darcy wrote:

> I'm building asterisk 11 beta 2. I've been using silk a lot. I don't
> see
> silk listed in menuselect as a codec. But I also don't see an
> asterisk
> 11 silk codec on
> http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telephony/codec_silk.
>
> Do we use the asterisk 10 codec_silk.so ?
>
> sean

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+10+Codecs+and+Audio+Formats

See the bottom blurb in particular --

* The SILK licensing, like the licensing for Polycom's Siren 7 G.722.1 and Siren 14 G.722.1C codecs, requires that the distribution of binary codec modules that can be used by Asterisk. To download the SILK codec module for Asterisk, browse to http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telephony/codec_silk/unsupported/asterisk-10.0/ and drop the untar'd .so file into /usr/lib/asterisk/modules and issue an Asterisk restart, or simply load the codec module from the Asterisk CLI

Actually, it seems that link provided is a little incorrect and the actual codec modules are available here:
http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telephony/codec_silk/asterisk-10.0/

These modules are actually compiled for Asterisk 10 rather than 11, but the architecture for codec translators remains largely unchanged, so I would guess it'll probably work. Probably.

--
Jonathan R. Rose
Digium, Inc. | Software Engineer