[asterisk-users] Static noise on bridged calls to PSTN, although the trunk line is clean on its own

Vladimir Mikhelson vlad at mikhelson.com
Thu Sep 13 20:42:48 CDT 2012

On 9/13/2012 5:24 PM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> On 13/09/12 00:47, Vladimir Mikhelson wrote:

>>> Thanks for replying Chad - and sorry for the delay in my reply. I
>>> should have mentioned that I ran fxotune and made no difference. I
>>> also checked the interrupts, and even changed motherboard, and tried a
>>> USB analog adapter (Sangoma U100) instead of the current OpenVox PCI
>>> adapter. None solved the problem.
>>>
>>> I have given in and asked the client to order ISDN lines I'm afraid.
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>>

>> Sebastian,
>>
>> I understand it is too late for your client, but for the sake of
>> consistency.
>>
>> I am experiencing a similar issue with Digium TDM410 on FXS lines. In my
>> case the static noise is always present on analog extensions provided by
>> TDM410.
>>
>> I had a ticket opened with Digium, and they admitted the following, but
>> refused to make the findings public:
>>
>>    1. The static noise is produced by Digium analog equipment on certain
>>       motherboards. I specifically tried various Dell Dimension Pentium
>>       III machines with several power supplies. They all consistently
>>       started producing the noise the moment DAHDI drivers loaded, even
>>       before Asterisk was loaded. When I tried Dell Dimension Pentium IV
>>       machine the noise was not there.
>>    2. On a machine which produced noise as described in #1 switching to
>>       a non-Digium TDM card fixed the noise problem. FXS daughter card
>>       stayed the same, just the base card was swapped.
>>
>> I do understand your situation involved FXO, and switching to OpenVox or
>> Sangoma did not help. But I feel the root cause well may be the same.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vladimir
>>

> Thanks for sharing Vladimir. It is interesting that somebody else is
> experiencing at least similar symptoms as I am. The hardware is
> generating the static noise (or at least it amplifies it greatly) -
> but I just couldn't find any way to reduce it sufficiently. After a
> chat with somebody working for a telecom company which installs
> proprietary PBX's - I reach the conclusion that it is not worth the
> effort. He said that whenever they encounter noise on analog lines,
> they don't tend to waste time tuning and adjusting things. They just
> recommend switching to ISDN - so I figured it's the only reasonable
> thing left to do. Of course, this won't make up of the many, many
> unchargeable hours spent troubleshooting this :-)
>
> Also, I'm afraid it isn't much of a solution for your case, if you are
> using FXS.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Sebastian
>
> --

Sebastian,

There is a major difference between a noisy analog line your TELCO
friend was talking about and a computer component generating the noise
on it its own under certain circumstances.

Switching to ISDN will help with one leg.  If another leg stays analog
it will be noisy in my scenario.  I think your problem may have been of
the same nature since you mentioned connecting an analog phone to that
line eliminated the noise.

As far as wasted hours go, I am with you - 100%.

Regards,
Vladimir