[asterisk-users] MusicOnHold (stream) interrupted after DDoS / network issues

Markus universe at truemetal.org
Sun Sep 9 09:27:16 CDT 2012

Dear list,

sometimes my network receives a large DDoS (packet flood, attack) that I
manually block after a few minutes or it just stops by itself. As soon
as the attack stops, the network is fine again, ping is back to normal,
traffic levels fine again, enough bandwidth etc.   During the DDoS a MP3
stream that I listen to via MusicOnHold will become interrupted, like
music-silence-music-silence and so on, which is normal because of the
DDoS and packet loss. However, the stream does not return "back to
normal" after the DDoS is finished. Even minutes or hours later, its
either still interrupted like described above, or there is complete
silence. I'm calling mpg123 like this:

/usr/bin/mpg123 -q -r 8000 -b 0 --mono -s http://stream.url

I tried to kill the mpg123 processes (there are different streams) and
also the shell script that calls them from MoH, but that doesnt change
anything, although the processes get restarted. The only thing that
helps is a total Asterisk restart, so I suppose the "issue" is within
Asterisk in some strange way.

Isn't that strange? Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you!