[asterisk-users] DTMF inband with telephone-event in SDP

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Oct 29 09:58:17 CDT 2012

Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Hello everyone!

Hola,

> We use Asterisk for various services like voicemail. Our SIP clients
> usually use rtp events (rfc2833) for DTMF, which works just fine and
> independent from the codec (g711 vs. g726 etc.).
>
> Now we noticed there are some SIP clients that announce telephone-event
> in their SDP, but send their DTMF inband. The problem with that is, that
> Asterisk obviously does not try to detect inband DTMF after seeing the
> telephone-event payload type in the SDP.

Generally DTMF is something that has to be configured on both sides, you
can't just configure it on one and have the negotiation force it to be that.

> So we are in a kind of dilemma:
> - dtmfmode=auto (and dtmfmode=rfc2833) will work for most, but not for
> the described ones.
> - dtmfmode=inband would also work for most, but of course not for the
> ones using g726 et al.
>
> Is there any Asterisk setting to force inband DTMF detection (with
> non-compressing codecs only, of course)? I browsed the code without result.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to force this as you describe out of the
box, you would have to make changes to chan_sip or explicitly have the
clients configured properly.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp