[asterisk-users] Why all the 401 Unauthorized

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Oct 26 01:56:32 CDT 2012

23 okt 2012 kl. 14:28 skrev Steven Howes <steve-lists at geekinter.net>:

> Hi,
>
> SIP registrations typically try to register, are them prompted for a password (via a 401 message) it then sends a new request with authentication . This is normal.

Yes it is.

To be more exact and clarify: We never prompt for a password or ask anyone to send a password in clear text. SIP authentication
is based on HTTP MD5 digest authentication, where we have to send an authentication challenge to get an authentication response.
The challenge is sent in the first 401 and the response in the next SIP request - REGISTER, INVITE or something else - from
the client. The information sent over the net is just a digest of a set of information, where the shared secret is one piece.

Cheers,
/O

> Steve
>
> On 23 Oct 2012, at 13:26, Jerry Geis wrote:
>
>> I have a connection between two asterisk boxes, both running 1.4.43
>>
>> The connection is alive and good and working. however, I see a bunch of
>> 401 Unauthorized messages using wireshark - then it eventually registers again
>> just fine.
>>
>> Why would it not successfully register the first time - every time?
>>
>> Jerry

---
* Olle E. Johansson - oej at edvina.net
* Kamailio & SIP Masterclass Miami FL December 2012
* http://edvina.net/training/