[asterisk-users] high capacity analog <-> sip gateway

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Oct 25 17:53:23 CDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM, jon pounder <jonp at inline.net> wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 05:01 PM, Steve Totaro wrote:
>>
>> That is just silly.  You mean to say that the Adtran and the Adit
>> units are not as reliable as these new devices.  No way.
>

> I have had channel banks fail yes, and I stick by my assertion that failing
> a small $50 box is a lot less painful on the wallet and users than a channel
> bank with most of the extensions on it, this changes as the scale goes up
> though.
>
> I would only use a channel bank where the size can justify at least 3 of
> them, and I would never use a T1 based one again I would use the ethernet to
> FXS ones.
>
> I use a combination of analog and voip phones and there are various reasons
> for each being the type it is, one solution doesn't always fit everything,
> even within a single system.

Of course one solution doesn't fit everything but most likely would in
the case at bar (providing it is truly an analog system).

T1 cards are dirt cheap and channel banks are too.  They are also
modular, so if a card goes out, you lose 4 extensions.  If the chassis
goes out, then you lose all but it is all solid state.  I mean this
stuff is the mainstay of telephony.

A SIP FXS box will obviously have a substantial lower mean time
between failures.  Look it up.

What brand did you see fail and what failed?  I have only had cards
blow out and that is EXTREMELY rare.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro