[asterisk-users] high capacity analog <-> sip gateway

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Thu Oct 25 16:01:50 CDT 2012

On 25/10/12 9:49 pm, Justin Killen wrote:
> What would be the advantage of using 100 single units vs. just buying VoIP phones?  That doesn't seem very cost effective to me in the long run.

In older buildings with existing single pair cabling, there might not be
a great deal of choice.

We were faced with a similar scenario at a hotel in Lincolnshire a few
months ago - listed building, lots of old pre-ethernet cable, no
likelihood of being able to replace the cable.

In answer to the OP, I concur with suggestions for 24-port channel banks
- you really don't want one or two devices responsible for all 100
extensions. I would not encourage individual SPA or PAP units - it'd be
an administative (and cabling) nightmare - it's bad enough with a dozen
of the things.

Kind regards,

Chris