[asterisk-users] asterisk for small home phone system

Matthew Hixson hixson at poindextrose.org
Thu Oct 25 13:09:01 CDT 2012

My wife and I have a home telephone/answering machine.  We've decided that having voicemail stuck in the machine and waiting for us to return home is not working for us any longer.  We'd like for calls coming into our home to be routed to our cell phones.  It seems to me that Asterisk might be the tool to do this.  I'm thinking that if I had a device like the Linksys SPA3102 on my home network I could run Asterisk on my Linux server and this could route calls via SIP to our cell phones, which would be running a SIP client of some kind.

 So my questions for you are:

 - Is the Linksys SPA3102 a good piece of hardware for this type of setup or is there something cheaper?  Perhaps a card that can go right into the Linux box?
 - Would we configure our SIP clients on our iphones to login directly to Asterisk running on my home Linux box?  I have 18MB/2.5MB internet service with a static IP so this wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
 -M@