[asterisk-users] Codec warnings after upgrade to 1.8

Metaspace admin at metaspace.com
Sat Oct 13 19:31:54 CDT 2012

Well, I don't know if this has been resolved yet, but I struggled with this
issue very seriously for about 12 straight hours:
I had an Asterisk 1.4 box with a Digium FXO/FXS card and an Asterisk 1.8 box i
just built with no cards. I migrated all extensions to the new box. All are
Cisco phones using the latest Chan-SCCP v4.0.

All I needed was a straight-forward IAX trunk between the two boxes so I could
use the FXO/FXS card in the old one until the Cisco 3102 adapter arrives.

PROBLEM: whatever I did, the new box always suggested g729 and the old one could
not switch from alaw to that and I had exactly the issues JOSEPH describes.

After much reading and even more trial and error I came to a

SOLUTION:

Ensure that the order of codecs is the same in both boxes, both in the IAX.CONF
file and the SCCP.CONF file. This would probably also mean the SIP.CONF file for
those using SIP.
In other words if you have the following lines (or whatever is relevant to you)
EXACTLY the same way in BOTH the IAX.CONF and the SIP/SCCP.CONF of BOTH ASTERISK
boxes then you should stand a pretty good chance to have the system talk the
same codec when they connect.

EXAMPLE - the [general] section of IAX, SIP and SCCP:

disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=g729