[asterisk-users] Failover router recommendation

Duncan Turnbull duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Tue Oct 9 16:36:44 CDT 2012

On 10/10/2012, at 9:54 AM, covici at ccs.covici.com wrote:

> I am sure Mikrotik routers will do this also, although I have not tried
> it.

Mikrotik can do this but it takes some setup. They are very powerful but what you are asking is complex and may require the following
- 2 ethernet upstreams or the ability to use PPOE to access DSL line. You can use DSL modems and more NAT but its important the device recognises the line has gone down. Mikrotiks don't do PPOA so if the DSL link uses PPOA then you need to have more natting.
- hard to use SIP externip as the externip changes depending on which link it comes from. The router can't influence this.
- your failover router has to reset itself to use the alternate DNS, and this sometime is a problem, more so when one link comes back the system has to change back. Some Mikrotiks I have used have trouble doing this.
- its easiest if you route everything out one link then if that fails route everything out the other link, if you just want some traffic rerouted you have to distinguish it and route it with a policy route which can get complex

Its not straight forward. Although I believe there are devices out there that have it all set up for you.

A much simpler way is to have asterisk have two separate trunks routed out two different links and then use asterisk to do any failover, then it solves other problems eg. the link is okay but the provider has gone down

You can make calls out the secondary trunks, and put a call forward on the primary numbers to the secondary if there is a failure

Cheers Duncan