[asterisk-users] Fax for Asterisk success rates?

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Thu Oct 4 16:07:22 CDT 2012

2012/10/4 Brett Lehrer <Brett.Lehrer at solarismed.com>

> >What is the setup you're talking about ?
> >Is it something like this ?
> >PSTN ---- nexVortex T.38 gateway ----- Internet ----- DSL modem ---
> >Asterisk ---- Fax machine
> Olivier,
>
> Sorry, I did a poor job explaining that.  That's basically correct, with
> the receiving end first and our originating end last in your diagram.  For
> outgoing faxes only, this is the setup:
>
> Fax interface (LAN website, in short) -> Asterisk PBX -> DSL modem ->
> Internet -> nexVortex trunk -> [recipient]
>
> Incoming faxes are generally more reliable, but I still get small number
> of failures.  I've mistakenly overestimated the incoming failure rate.
>  Don't have clean statistics on that, though.

How many fax and voice calls (which codecs for tha latter ones ?) are on
average using your DSL line ?

1. Previously, I experienced failures during the process of converting
incoming PDF documents into ready-to-send fax image files while the reverse
process (from a fax file into a PDF or whatever document) never failed.

I would be curious to check if a greater failure rate for outbound faxing
(greater than inbound faxing failure rate) could simply comes from image
processing, before any transmission.

2. Though your DSL line may have enough bandwidth from your location to its
DSLAM, chances are packets are dropped or delivered too late for T.38
faxing.
An interesting test would be to use an Asterisk PBX hosted somewhere at
"close range" from netVortex fax gateways : that would remove most
networking issues out of the equation.