[asterisk-users] Fax for Asterisk success rates?

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Thu Oct 4 11:27:17 CDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Brett Lehrer <Brett.Lehrer at solarismed.com>wrote:

> I'm running Asterisk 1.8.11.1 and am connected to the nexVortex trunking
> service over a DSL line solely dedicated to VoIP usage.  For both incoming
> and outgoing faxes, I'm getting a failure rate of just over 25%, and over a
> handful of reasons.
>
> Is it natural to have this many problems on a completely digital
> configuration?  I'm trying to cut our analog phone line (because it's so
> expensive), but some fax machines just don't seem to ever accept a fax.
>  Many of the failures are on the same numbers, forcing me to fall back to
> an old analog fax machine just to make sure it actually gets through.
>
> Has anyone else had any similar experiences, or is this indicative of a
> failure in the setup on my end (or even the trunking service)?

I'm not going to address the tech issues, as others already have.  And if
you didn't know, Steve Underwood is THE fax guy so whatever he says is
gold, listen to him.

However I'd just suggest that you look at the business case for screwing
around with fax at all.  As a society, if we had decided to stop supporting
this dead technology years ago, with all the time and money we've
collectively wasted we could have completely eliminated world hunger.  I
can't count the hundreds of hours I've wasted on fax support just to prop
up this stupid and unnecessary technology.  We just made the decision this
week to outsource it all and never deal with it on our network again.  I am
slowly re-gaining my sanity because of that decision.

Now I'm going to take a fax machine out to the parking lot and shoot it,
even talking about this awful waste of time makes my blood boil.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve