[asterisk-users] Fax for Asterisk success rates?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Oct 4 10:14:14 CDT 2012

On 10/04/2012 09:29 PM, Brett Lehrer wrote:
> I'm running Asterisk 1.8.11.1 and am connected to the nexVortex trunking service over a DSL line solely dedicated to VoIP usage.  For both incoming and outgoing faxes, I'm getting a failure rate of just over 25%, and over a handful of reasons.
>
> Is it natural to have this many problems on a completely digital configuration?  I'm trying to cut our analog phone line (because it's so expensive), but some fax machines just don't seem to ever accept a fax.  Many of the failures are on the same numbers, forcing me to fall back to an old analog fax machine just to make sure it actually gets through.
>
> Has anyone else had any similar experiences, or is this indicative of a failure in the setup on my end (or even the trunking service)?
>
> Brett Lehrer
Unexplainable FAX call failures (i.e. not wrong numbers of other
obviously wrong things) should be well below 1%. On a dedicated DSL
line, if everything is set up properly you should be getting that kind
of rate. This is especially true if you are using T.38 and the provider
at the far end uses a decent T.38 platform. Across the open internet
results are much more variable.

Depending what causes your 25% failures, you may get better results with
spandsp than with FFA.

Steve