[asterisk-users] Case-sensitivity of Dialplan variables.

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Wed Oct 3 16:00:41 CDT 2012

On 03/10/12 11:49 AM, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) wrote:
> In short, my vote goes for case-sensitivity with a grace period for
> switching over.

I disagree. Migrating between major versions should never be something
like installing Asterisk 12 over an existing Asterisk 11 (or earlier)
system. It should always be a migration between physical (or virtual) boxes.

The time to verify your dialplan works in a major release is during the
testing phase, not during the "omg I installed over my production
system!" phase.

If someone needs to upgrade to a major version, changes as documented in
the UPGRADE.txt and CHANGES file would need to be performed anyways, so
testing in a staging environment should catch the issues prior to
production deployment.

Besides, if it was an option, people would just ignore making the
changes until the version where the option was no longer available, and
we're basically in the same boat as just changing it in the next major
version.

Consistency for the win!(tm)

--
Leif Madsen